Advance.org is the professional network for global Australians. Advance supports international career paths and provides the bridge to enable skills and knowledge acquired overseas to be leveraged for the nation’s benefit. We recognise and celebrate the achievements of global Australians who are at the forefront of their field to inspire the next generation.
Advance.org was established from the ashes of the September 2001 attacks by Ken Allen AO, who was at the time Australia’s Consul General in New York, prior to returning to Sydney in 2006.
The Advance.org Patron is the Prime Minister of Australia. Our Patrons share a commitment to the diaspora and the work of Advance.org:
The Hon. John Howard OM AC Australia’s 25th Prime Minister
Prime Minister Howard famously observed:
“Our greatest exports are not of course iron ore important though that is, or tourism important though that is, wheat, coal and all the other things that we export….our greatest exports are our people. There are a million of you dotted around the world, saving lives, inventing things, being at the forefront of information technology”
“The concept of Advance is really quite superb. What it does is to challenge in the most emphatic way, that rather silly notion that in some way Australia is diminished by some of the brightest and the best of our country going overseas and making an enormous contribution to the societies and the economies of other parts of the world.”
The Hon. Julia Gillard, Australia’s 27th Prime Minister
“The Advance network brings together an amazing array of distinguished and rising Australians … In our globalised world, strong and productive networks with our fellow Australians will underpin our continued growth and prosperity, leveraging our skills and knowledge to promote our nation and its achievements to the wider world.”
The Hon. Malcolm Turnbull, Australia’s 29th Prime Minister
“A million adventurous, enterprising, creative, innovative, competitive Australians right around the world… The important thing is to harness this smart grid of human capital and we’re doing that. Advance harnesses that enormous smart grid of human capital; our diaspora… It was an historic achievement to set up Advance … The strides that Advance has made are extraordinary… It will be a key element in our nation’s very bright future.”
Mr Turnbull also encourages global Australians to join the Advance Awards Celebration.
We are the trusted platform that connects global Australians with one another and with Australia by:
- Conducting and sharing Interviews showcasing the work of global Australians
- Unlocking the networks of our diaspora, partners and supporters, board, Asia Advisory Committee, and the Advance Ambassadors to connect global Australians
- Expanding Advance.org global chapters led by our volunteer Ambassadors (UK, US, Japan, UAE and China)
- Hosting roundtables to share insights and ideas – virtually and in person
- Curating and publishing a global events calendar to help global Australians connect in person or online
- Curating and publishing a monthly news update – Born Global – that is shared across the Advance.org membership and more widely via the website and through social media.
- Creating a new website that acts as a ‘town square’ for information, insights, announcements, opportunities and connections.
We unlock the economic and cultural opportunities through collaboration, investment and innovation by:
- Featuring the work of Australian performing artists such as Georgia Neaverson, Gondwana Voices at the Advance Awards and Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu during our digital roundtables
- Collaborating with a wide range of partners and supporters including the Chambers of Commerce to progress collaboration and investment (Support of the Australia-Israel Chamber’s Global Innovation Summit, Amcham AU, EABC and ABCC and the work of the American Australian Association)
- Hosting Town Hall discussions to showcase the opportunities available to Australian entrepreneurs
- Hosting briefings to encourage investment (Main Sequence Ventures Briefing)
- Profiling Australian innovation globally
- Sharing the insights of global Australian leaders
- Helping Australian companies and those organisations in which global Australians are working, secure the best global talent by promoting job opportunities available to global Australians in Australia and around the world
We recognise and celebrate the achievements of global Australians who are at the forefront of their field to inspire the next generation by:
- Curating the Advance Awards each year and hosting the Advance Awards Celebration (digitally in 2020)
- Profiling the achievements of the Advance Award Finalists and the Winners (our Game Changers) via the website, social media (Linkedin, Twitter and Facebook)
- Profiling the work of global Australians making an impact across social media.