Advance #CoffeeHour: Navigating the return home to Australia
Advance.org research with Indeed in 2019 uncovered the specific difficulties faced by returning Australians, and possible actions that can make this process simpler. But with the global pandemic, many global Australians have had to return unexpectedly, and face even greater challenges finding employment and re-building a professional network without the luxury of meeting in-person with new contacts.
To hear your experience and shape our services, the #CoffeeHour brings together Australians who have returned or are planning their return. The first #CoffeeHour (14 June 2020) helped clarify the challenges and needs of returning Australians; the second #CoffeeHour (11 March 2021) unpacked challenges to building a professional network, and the opportunities within Australia’s growing startup ecosystem.
The next #CoffeeHour will be held on 30 June 2021. Register here.
We’ve summarised the key points from the #CoffeeHour discussions here:
What challenges have you faced when returning to Australia?
- Having overseas skills/experience valued by local employers and recruiters
- Working out where to live without first arranging employment
- Establishing networks in Australia
- Accessing banking and healthcare
How can you have your overseas skills valued?
- Connect with high growth companies who are ‘born global’
- Launch a startup on your own, or through a program like Antler
- Build a portfolio careers to share expertise as an adviser/board member
- Take a role at an Australian public or private organisation that is undergoing transformation
- Live local and work global
Any feedback? What are we missing here or let us know ([email protected]) any tips you would like to share!