Global Talent Award Category
What is the Global Talent Award?
The Global Talent Award is awarded as part of the Global Australian Awards. Now in their 12th year, these annual Awards recognise the achievements of global Australians – including Australians living and working overseas; Australians who have built their career overseas in the past; and international alumni of Australian universities. The addition of this Global Talent Award since 2022 recognised that Australia’s pipeline of internationally-experienced talent includes many skilled migrants and “new Australians” working and building businesses in Australia. These individuals may share personal and professional connections with global Australians, and also similar needs when settling in Australia. The Global Talent Award specifically recognises recent migrants who have made an impact in Australia’s future-facing industries.
Do you know anyone whose work deserves recognition? Nominations are open until March 6th.
What is the Global Talent Award?
The Global Talent Award specifically recognises recent migrants who have made an impact in Australia’s future-facing industries. This award acknowledges that Australia’s pipeline of internationally-experienced talent includes many skilled migrants and “new Australians” working and building businesses in Australia. These individuals often share personal and professional connections with global Australians, and also similar needs when settling in Australia. This award category was added in 2022, and recognised three outstanding individuals.
Who can apply? Can you tell me what are the eligibility criteria?
To be eligible, the nominee must:
- Have been born outside Australia
- Be a permanent resident or citizen of Australia, or a New Zealand citizen living in Australia
- Be living and working in Australia at the time of nomination
- Moved to Australia no earlier than 1 January 2010.
- Since 1 January 2020 have made a significant contribution to Australia in their field of expertise by:
- developing a breakthrough innovation or scientific discovery in Australia that will tangibly benefit Australians at large, or make a globally significant contribution in the applicant’s field of endeavour, and/or
- establishing a business that has created quality jobs in Australia, and/or
- establishing a high net value business in Australia, that is tax positive for Australia
- Still be active in their field
- Be working, or have established a business, in one of the following future-facing industry sectors:
- Agrifood and AgTech
- Circular economy
- Defence, Advance manufacturing and Space
- Financial services and FinTech
- Health industries
- Infrastructure and Tourism
- Where the nominee is a business owner, have their business registered in Australia and be tax positive for Australia
Groups of people or couples are not normally eligible. In exceptional cases, Advance reserves the right to consider such nominations in the selection process.
The judges reserve the right to determine the relevance of nominations to the specified industry sectors.
Why is this category limited to people working in these industries?
The industries selected are high priority future-focused sectors that are expected to make an outstanding contribution to the Australian economy and job creation.
Is an award given for each of the sectors mentioned?
The Global Talent Award is a single award that will recognise the best candidate among all listed sectors.
Does it matter when I arrived in Australia?
Yes. Candidates should have moved to Australia no earlier than 1 January 2010. The Award is to recognise recent outstanding achievements of migrants who have made a big impact in their field of endeavour.
Can I apply if I arrived in Australia on a temporary visa?
Yes, as long as you are now either a permanent resident or an Australian citizen living and working in Australia. If you are currently on a temporary (including provisional residence) visa you are not eligible to apply for this Award.
Can I nominate or be nominated if I am engaged in doctoral studies?
No, PhD candidates are not eligible to apply. The Award is to recognise the achievements of people who are making their mark in business or paid employment in their field. You are welcome to nominate once you have been awarded your PhD, if you meet the eligibility criteria.
Can I renominate?
Yes! In fact, many Award winners come from nominations submitted in prior years. The Awards are highly competitive, and each year many talented individuals with impressive achievements do not progress to the final round. We encourage past nominees to re-nominate and update us on their latest accomplishments. Advance may also contact you for permission to re-nominate you for a future year.
What are the selection criteria to assess nominees?
Candidates are judged on their demonstrated contribution, leadership, vision, impact and innovation in one of Australia’s future-facing industries listed in the Eligibility Criteria. Award nominees are evaluated against the criteria below (not all criteria need be met). Since 1 January 2020 they must have:
- Demonstrated a professional, business or economic impact or contribution to Australia
- Created quality jobs for Australians
- Demonstrated innovation, leadership and entrepreneurship
- Achieved impact by conceiving and performing work in new and creative ways
- Demonstrated capacity to inspire the next generation of Australian innovators
The judges may also consider the nominees:
- Contribution to Australian society
- Voluntary work beyond paid employment
- Capacity for their work to contribute to a more socially and economically inclusive Australia
- Commitment to promote the Award in the years after it has been granted
- Commitment to contribute to the mentoring of next generation Australian innovators
- Ongoing contribution in their field
As a business owner, is there a set number of jobs to be created?
No. The judges will take both the quality and number of jobs created into consideration.
Can I self nominate?
Yes, individuals may nominate themselves and others.
Should I ask multiple colleagues / friends to nominate me?
No. A self-nomination, a nomination by a third party, and multiple nominations are all weighted equally. Each nomination is considered independently based on the achievements outlined. If multiple nominations for the same individual are received, they will be consolidated into a single nomination (within the word limits) for the judging panel to review, risking losing important information. A succinct and strong nomination is best submitted by the nominee, or someone passionate and knowledgable about the nominee’s achievements.
Who are the judges?
The judges for the Advance Awards are eminent Australians. Chaired by Advance Founder and Chairman Emeritus, Ken Allen AO, the judges are chosen for their expertise, integrity, and standing in Australia and around the world. You can learn all about them here.
Can my co-founder and I be eligible for an award?
Groups of people or couples will normally not be eligible, though in exceptional cases the selection panel reserves the right to consider such nominations.
Who can nominate someone else for an Award?
Anyone. If you know of outstanding migrants who are supporting Australia’s future-facing economic recovery and growth, don’t miss the opportunity to nominate them now.
Who are the past award winners?
The Global Talent Award was established in 2022 and recognised three outstanding individuals. You can learn more about them here.
Is there a prize for this award?
Winners and finalists for all Advance award categories receive promotion, publicity and recognition in a globally broadcast event. Award winners receive a physical trophy, and are considered for the overall “Global Australian of the Year” award. There is no financial prize associated with each award.
Have more questions? Please email us, and we will respond within two working days.